Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 1: Disney Princess Half Marathon Week(end) 2014

Way back in June 2013, I thought it was a grand idea to register for my very first half marathon in addition to a 10K, because a half marathon wouldn't be enough of a challenge...

Fast forward to February 19, 2014...

My roommates are the best! 
Me in the car on the way to the airport: "Wow those 8 months flew by," while making a mental list of all of the things wrong with the current picture:
1. I did not sufficiently train for the half marathon; although I was well prepared for the 10K. 
2. Silly me, being a college student I was naive in adding up the various expenses of a trip to Disney World. 
3. We were also running late to the airport...

These things are all very typical of me; I am not a planner, at least not in the sense that I plan the important details (only the fun details).  I also procrastinate, hence the not training part. 

And despite everything that was wrong in the first place, I had the best vacation ever

Here's the basic info:
Flight: Frontier Airlines (New Castle, DE--->Orlando, FL)
Hotel: Shades of Green, Walt Disney World Resort 
Travel Companion: Heather - the best Disney travel buddy ever!

I should also add that this was Heather's first trip to Disney World! It was my fourth time visiting, my most recent prior to this one was January 2013 with my boyfriend's family, who happen to be Vacation Club Members!

For the sake of logistical questions, I should probably preface this with I am not a logistics person.
I can tell you that yes, we did have transportation from the airport to the hotel, but how that happened, I am not sure except that Heather took care of it. Oh, but our driver, Alfredo, he was incredible, as are all of the drivers in the vicinity of Disney World. 

After a long morning that started on 2 hours of sleep, being lost, finally arriving for our flight, and setting off the metal detector with my bangles, we finally got on the plane and made our way to the Sunshine State. Might I add, Delaware was in the 20s when we left, so I sincerely mean it when I say I was very grateful to be heading towards sunshine.

We checked into Shades of Green a few hours later. FYI: Shades of Green is actually a government run resort for military families and their friends (me being the friend) on beautiful Disney World property. It is not technically a Disney resort, but there is bus transportation to all Disney World parks, which was the most important amenity for us - especially on both races days.  I highly recommend Shades of Green to anyone who is in the military or has family in the military. We had a great experience during our stay, not to mention at a much lower price than anything Disney World can offer to guests at other resorts. 

Once we checked in and changed into more weather appropriate clothing (read: I spilled iced tea on my white shirt and had to change), we headed over to Downtown Disney. On my previous Disney vacation, I only went to Downtown Disney for dinner at Raglan Road and that was at nighttime, so it looked like a whole different place. Albeit, Disney is always changing so there were of course some major differences.

I was most excited to check out Fit2Run, a shopaholic/runners paradise, if you will. This is where my bank account probably took the worst hit...oops. I'll go into detail about Fit2Run in a separate post, because it totally deserves one.

Naturally, I was starving and there happened to be this mystical place called Earl of Sandwich right in front of us.


Sorry, not exactly the most descriptive picture...I wasn't thinking in terms of blogworthy photography at this point in time.

I am a pescetarian, so I had a tuna melt and it was quite wonderful. From what i've read, everything at Earl of Sandwich is amazing.

Of course I had to have a dessert, being that dessert is my favorite food category. I opted for a chocolate  malt milkshake from Ghiradelli, which gave me a sense of being in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After that, I was pretty much done for, the food coma had set in.

I think thats about it for interesting details of day 1 in Disney World. We had to turn in early to hit the Expo first thing in the morning (shopaholics).

I have many more details to share, the exciting stuff is yet to come - please stay tuned!

Run Happy, 
Ali 





No comments:

Post a Comment